Hotmail on iPhone -set up email on cell phone
Since it's not listed like Gmail or Yahoo, many users believe that Hotmail cannot be set upon the iPhone. This is not true because your email account can be accessed via the POP email protocol which is all what one requires.
FYI, Microsoft has made POP access free for all Hotmail accounts - you don't need the 'Plus' upgrade to get email on your cell phone. In fact, as I came to know, one doesn't even need to provide the Hotmail POP settings because the iPhone gets them on its own which saves a little time in setting up the account.
For those who don't have an iPhone, you can still get Hotmail on your cell phone (as long as it is web enabled). One of the ways to do this is to visit login.live.com with the web browser program on your device to access Live services including email. By the way, a mobile version of the site will be loaded automatically - the service will detect that you are accessing it from a cell phone. If that doesn't happen, go to mobile.live.com.
Below are the snapshots of the mobile web site. You may also configure Hotmail email in the native email client on the device, if available.
Set up Hotmail on iPhone
The instructions are fairly simple and you would be able to set up Hotmail email on the iPhone in a couple of minutes. Synchronizing the online account with one on your cell phone may be slow when you do it for the first time. Just make sure the iPhone is connected to the internet.
- Tap "Settings" icon - [Slide 1]. By the way, if this is the first email account being set up on the iPhone, tap ""Mail" and jump straight to the fourth point in the list.
- Scroll down and tap "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" - [Slide 2].
- As you can see from the screenshot, I already have my Yahoo email account set up on the iPhone. Tap "Add Account..." - [Slide 3].
- Some popular email services will be presented. Unfortunately, Hotmail isn't on list, but that should not put you off. Tap "Other" - [Slide 4].
- Select "Add Mail Account" to continue - [Slide 5].
- You now need to fill a very short form; enter your name, full Hotmail email address, the account password and a description. Tap on "Save" button - [Slide 6].
- The information you've provided will now be verified; the iPhone connects to the Hotmail server - [Slide 7].
- If you get any error message, simply ignore and tap "Continue".
- Hotmail is now set up on your iPhone - [Slide 8].
- Move to the home screen and tap "Mail" - [Slide 9].
- You'll find the newly added email account listed with others, if you have - [Slide 10].
- To check your Hotmail email on iPhone, tap the account name to be presented with the inbox - [Slide 11].
As you probably, know other email accounts can also be set up on this cell phone; please refer the following list:
Comments, questions, feedback... whatever!
Page contents: Hotmail iPhone setup - Get email messages on cell phone with these simple instructions with screenshots.
Recent Blog Posts
- Hotmail Sign In page
- Create a Hotmail account - Instructions
- Create Gmail address
- Download and install Outlook Express
- Get your free Gmail address
- Outlook Express new version
- Create my own email address
- Browers for Windows list
- Get email address
- Color combinations for web sites and pages
- Create Yahoo ID